West View Resort was started in 1947 by Lottie's
parents, Trudy and Al Schmuecking.
Trudy, Al, and Lottie emmigrated from Germany during the German depression and
arrived in this country in time for ours.
Al was a master
craftsman, having apprenticed as a cabinet maker in Germany. He created their home from the only existing structure on the
property, a two room shack, and then built the resort. The first
cottage was built in 1947 and the last in 1953.